12 February 2017

Walter Kirby

Bill and I have great relationships with the Police forces around Australia. This return was initiated when I received a message from Leading Senior Constable Dale Annesley (VICPOL). Dale told me the following story:

'This medal was found at the Forest Hill Shopping Centre and handed in in 2012. I have an interest in medals so conducted enquires to try and locate the owner. The medal was issued to Walter Edward Kirby dob:28/07/1903 QX16807, served with 3rd reserve motor transport company, was a prisoner of war Java, interned in Thailand. Was born in Gympie, enlisted in Toowoomba nok: Ivy Kirby, died August 1978.'

A quick check of the WWII nominal roll confirmed all the details so I moved to the Queensland BDM and found the names of all of Walter's siblings. From there I moved on to the electoral rolls. Unfortunately, there is no evidence that Walter and his wife Ivy had any children. I did located the name of a nephew who is also listed in the White Pages. I passed all this to Dale who has also kindly provided a newspaper article about this medal.
The returned medal tally is now 2011. 
PS, don't tell Bill that this took me about 4 minutes to resolve. 

1 comment: