23 February 2016

Royce Fiddes

This is an interesting item that is probably just one example of the different types of souvenirs bought home by soldiers from WWI. This is a 1914 20 Kurus coin from Turkey which has been turned in to an identity disc. The soldier is 16953 Royce Richard Fletcher Fiddes who served in the 5th Light Horse Field Ambulance and later the Australian Camel Brigade Ambulance
I thought that with a name as distinctive as his that tracing his family would be reasonably easy. This wasn't the case and it has been close to four years since this search started. It was only resolved when a descendant of Roy's came across an online post about our research.
Thanks to Ken Duncan who originally sent me the coin.

2 comments:

  1. Angela Unstead nee Fiddes09 May, 2022 13:43

    I am the descendant Glyn mentions; Roy was my grandfather's brother. I knew him as a young child.
    l am thrilled to update this post by announcing that l have just been contacted by the grand-daughter of Roy, who discovered the very thread that first led me to this site. l had left comments there, and she has tracked me from that.
    So, it will soon be making it's way to exactly where it belongs. What a perfect conclusion.
    Thanks again Glyn, for doing what you do.
    Warm regards,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete