04 February 2016

George Fisher

I recently received an email from a West Australian Police Officer who had come across the medals of 1836 PTE George Edward Charles Fisher. George was a member of 38th Battalion AIF and wounded in action a couple of times.
Following WWI, George returned to his trade of Motor Driver. It was pretty easy to follow him through the electoral rolls until he died in 1948. George didn't marry so I had to follow his siblings. Of his three brothers, one died as a baby, another died in 1935, sad,ly I found that his wife died in 1930, the same year they married.
The third brother, Albert married and had children. I followed this line until 1980 when the online electoral roll stop. Using the fairly common name of Fisher, the initials of a husband and wife and a town I knew the family lived in, I made some educated guesses and provided the phone number of a possible relative.
My Police contact rang the number and later reported to me that the contact I provided put him in touch with a sibling, then a cousin, then a nephew who was able to explain why the medals were not in the families possession. The short story is that the British War Medal and the Victory Medal awarded to George will soon be returned to his family.
The returned medal tally is now 1765.

1 comment: