29 March 2015

Royal Navy Sig Boy

Every now and then we receive a medal which is a bit out of the ordinary. This BWM arrived in the mail last week from Paul B of WA. The naming on the medal is to J87212 Albert Edward Casey, Signal Boy, Royal Navy. I've only seen this rank on a medal in photos.
The British records showed that Albert was born on 15 January 1905 and joined the Royal Navy before 1914. He served through until about 1920. In 1924 Albert emigrated to Australia where he married Jessie Winifred Mona O'Donoghue in 1934. Albert and Jessie lived mostly around Newcastle, NSW and in 1948 he was appointed to the NSW public service. At some point in the 1970s Albert and Jessie moved to Perth and in 1980 they were living in Scarborough. Albert died on 6 July 1980 and Jessie on 8 December 1995.
With out any direct descendent and no siblings of Albert's that I could identify, I started to look at Jessie's family. She was the daughter of John O'Donoghue and Selina Weekes. Jessie had two brothers but neither appear to have had children. However, I found a clear line from the Weekes family to Greg Weeks who lives only 30 km from me. Greg has an extensive family tree on Ancestry and hold many other family medals. I hope to meet with Greg soon and hand over the medal.
The returned medal tally is now 1646.

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful WA people ... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. To continue this story: through a distant cousin I have managed to contact my second cousin Anne who is Albert's and Jessie's daughter. Anne who is 80yo and still living in Perth is overjoyed that her father;s medal is on its way home to her. Thanks Glyn for your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is fantastic news Greg, thanks for letting me know.

    Glyn

    ReplyDelete