23 October 2012

Denis Costello

I thought that the search for the family of 2832 PTE Denis Francis Costello would be straight forward. With his unusual combination of names and the information in his service record I anticipated a quick return. This proved to be wrong. Between Bill and I and the helpful team of the Australian Surname Group we put together a considerable amount of information on the Costello family. Finding a relative proved to be the difficult bit.
Costello was a member of the 1st Pioneer Battalion and there is an interesting comment in his service record that says he was accidentally injured with a knife wound to the chest and that the wound did not occur as part of his military duties. Unfortunately, there is no further information as to why this occured.
This Victory Medal came to me originally from the NSW RSL and is one of only a few we have left from this box.  It will be returned to Denis' great niece.
The returned medal tally is now 1191.


1 comment:

  1. I have a Costello line in my family tree. He married my gret aunt Doris Austin.

    Well done you and your team ... brilliant as always :)

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete