01 October 2011

David George Irvin update

In August I told the story of the memorial plaque presented to the family of David George Irvin. This post is to bring up to date the story of the return of the plaque to the family.
As I mentioned, I was hopeful that the Chief of Army's History Conference would provide the perfect opportunity to bring the Irvin family to Canberra and return the plaque. When I discussed this with Roger Lee from the Army History Unit, he was totally behind me. AHU, through Dr Andrew Richardson, kindly allowed me a time slot in the program to tell the story behind Irvin's plaque. After that, Major General John Caligari formally handed back the memorial plaque to the Irvin family.
The story was reported in the Canberra Times (thank you David) and I've reproduced it below.
Once again I must mention that it is thanks to the vigilance of Tim D that this return began at all.
(To view larger copies of this article click on the picture, a further zoom can also be done).

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful conclusion Glyn ... proud of you as always and even prouder to be your mate :)

    Bright Blessings
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete