17 September 2009

A punt that paid off

I recently received the WWII War Medal awarded to NX135212 Joseph William Browning. It was sent to me from a contact in Australia Post who forwards me medals that come loose in the mail. All I could find out about Browning is that he was from Lismore, NSW.
I've previously had considerable luck locating people in this region by placing a letter to the editor in the Northern Star paper. So I took a punt and wrote to them again and sure enough they published my letter in this mornings edition and tonight I received emails from two of his daughters. I'll return the medal to the family very soon. In the picture you will see a 'D' after Browning's name, this indicates the medal is an officially issued duplicate.
The medal tally is now 550.

1 comment:

  1. hi there, i do very much the same think as you only i am in Canada. i like to reunite families with their soldiers canadian war medals. i have found medals and tried to locate the families however my main goal is to have the families contact me and let me know their family members name so i can search for that family. check out my website at canadawarmedals.webs.com

    ReplyDelete