06 May 2009

A meeting worth waiting for

I have mentioned before that we very rarely meet the families who we return medals to. When we do it is a very special occasion and we have tried to put photos here or on the web site. This week I did meet with a family and it was a memorable occasion.
On 27 Mar 09 I reported that we had located the family of 335 T-CPL George Clifford . The family live in England so my initial thought was to pop the medal in the mail. My wife, Anna, later said she could see the wheels slowly turning over as I put all the pieces in place. As it happened we had a trip to England planned so I suggested to Rob, who is related to Clifford, that I bring the medal to London for him. That plan fell in place and on 4 May I met Rob, and his wife Cathy, and returned the medal to them. We had a wonderful day with them and here are some photos of Rob and me in Kensington Gardens.



Updated 25 Sep 12. The donor of the Clifford medal was Barry of SA. It was remiss of me not to mention this in the past.

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story Glyn ... as I keep saying things happen for a reason :)

    Pleased to see that there was more to the trip than sight seeing :)

    Bright Blessings
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve said it before to you mate & I’ll say it once again because it’s a real pitty you don’t see fit to acknowledge the ones who provide you with those medals to pass on Glyn.

    I was thrilled to see the end result with the medal I sent you & with all the other medals returned, yet a simple thank you line accompanying these articles, acknowledging the doner, is all you need to do. From what I have seen you have not done that for any donors, which is quite rude & a bit insulting.

    Clearly your the man for the job & I have praised you before on this matter, but obviously without the kind intent of the medal donors, who seek you out, liaise & pay to deliver these to you, there would be a lot of relatives who would often be missing out on something which is rightfully theirs & of course you would not be basking in your moments of well earned glory as often either;)

    Now, I'm not asking for much of you at all, in fact very little mate, but on behalf of all the other lost medal providers, as well as myself, be a gentleman & a good sport Glyn & acknowledge your medal providers in some fit manner (a full name does not necessarily need to be stated if permission cannot be obtained) in a brief end note at the end of your success stories, otherwise without it these success stories are not quit complete are they.

    Other than that, good on ya mate & thanks for your efforts.

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The donor of the Clifford medal was Barry of SA. It was remiss of me not to mention this in the past.
    Barry I invite you to read the stories on my blog and you will see that the donor is acknowledged. Whether the medal can to me from the RSL, a police force or a member of the public I note this. Not all members of the public want to have this acknowledgement and they specifically request that I don't mention them. You will also note that I provide some privacy by only giving their first name, last initial and the general area they live in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Glyn.

    After all these years, from receiving it as a child to now; belated, but closure at last.

    Cheers

    Barry

    ReplyDelete